July 25, 2011

The Amazing Spiderman

 Is it just me, or does anyone else think Hollywood is past scraping the bottom of the barrel for film ideas? Just saw Captain America (awesome BTW) and there was a movie trailer for…

“The Amazing Spiderman” (2012)
I rolled my eyes and shook my head. The original Spiderman came out in 2002, and  Spiderman 3 was released in 2007.
I saw this same phenomena with “Hulk” (2003) and “The Incredible Hulk” (2008).

 
I guess film movie licensing rights aren’t good for more than 5 years. Or, maybe they have a different strategy… sort of like the reasoning that must have prompted Disney to make the movie “Beverly Hills Chihuahau.”
If they add the number of people living in Southern California with the number of people across the United States who own a Chihuahua or other toy dog—they can make any ridiculous low-budget movie they want if they think even 1/20th of the niche market they’ve isolated will go see it. 


It doesn’t matter if Spiderman is a repeat idea because there are enough people worldwide who can’t get enough of the super hero movies and will go see it for no other reason than to compare it to the original.

Anyone else have any ideas why there's a need to remake Spiderman?

5 comments:

  1. I saw that preview too! My first thought was it looked like a duplicate of the first Toby McGuire Spiderman. Guess they are running out of ideas - they need to start looking for some new books to turn into movies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's more related to the Ultimate Spiderman line of comics, meaning that he'll be in highschool the whole time where spiderman really shines instead of boring real life and college. It also has to do with marvel studios snagging back the rights to some of their movies. And technically the second Hulk movie is a sequel, they just don't like to talk about it since it did so poorly (because it was a crap movie, natch)
    But man, wasn't Captain America tons of fun?! Did you stay past the credits to see The Avengers trailer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like they need to find a new book to produce. I personally get tired of all the remakes... or putting a adding PART FIVE on it... as if the first few Final Destinations were not enough. Please spare me.

    I've heard the same thing Sarah just mentioned everyone loved The Avengers Trailer after the credits.

    Great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, right? I mentioned on my blog before that one of my dream jobs is to be a tv or movie veto-er. I just want to sit in the back of the room, let them all chat, and then they turn to me to see if it gets the greenlight. I would rule Hollywood! With an iron red pen! lol Okay, that's enough egotistical ranting...for now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, it almost embarrassed me personally that they are making it, and I'm not even involved. I liked the first SM movies, but now everyone will be comparing them.

    ReplyDelete