October 13, 2011

The Twelve Dancing Princesses


  

I read PRINCESS OF THE MIDNIGHT BALL by Jessica Day George several months ago. A while later, I read Heather Dixon’s variation, ENTWINED. It was my intention to discern for myself, which author did a better spin-off of the classic fairytale, The Twelve Dancing Princesses.

Right from page one of Entwined, I realized picking a winner would not be easy. I gave up on the concept of comparing the two books half way through. Although they share the same premise, I still had the impression I was reading two different stories. The overlapping elements are minor enough that I honestly can’t recommend one over the other.
  
 Then, while traveling to California to visit my family,  I purchased THE NIGHT DANCE, by Suzanne Weyn, on a whim.  This seemed the least like a 12 dancing princesses story and more like a King Arthur adventure spin-off.

And since I’m on the topic, I absolutely adore  THE TWELVE DANCING PRINCESSES, retold and illustrated by Ruth Sanderson. I think the illustrations in this children’s book are just gorgeous.

 Just over a year ago, I had to move from North Carolina to Florida. My hardcover copy of this book is one of three books I packed in my valuable car space and took with me, rather than letting the movers handle.  

That left me wondering: Are there any books in your home library you wouldn’t trust anyone else to transport across the country for you?

2 comments:

  1. That's one of my favorite fairytales. I am planning on reading PRINCESS OF THE MIDNIGHT BALL, sometime in the near future.

    ReplyDelete