July 7, 2010

Knock-Offs


In the fashion industry, for something to be technically considered original and  not another knock-off (since all fashion recycles itself ) the new design must have changed at least 20%. 

On the left is the original. On the right is my creation. I've changed the fabric, length, and removed the rosettes.  I also did not include a petticoat.


The inspiration for my design: I was given a request for a casual "beach" wedding dress with vintage inspirations. And since the dress would be for a second marriage, "standard white" was not a prerequisite.

I bought this fabric at a Wal-Mart several years ago for $2/yard. 3 yards of the swirling hibiscuses, and 1 & 1/2 of the interlocking hibiscuses.

I usually use unbleached muslin to sew the samples rather than printed fabric. However, I realized muslin costs about  $2.49/yard and I've got  6 plastic crates full of  uncut fabric I've accumulated over the years.  Definitely a win-win situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment