|For the sexy chef in your life.|
|All seam allowances ½ inch|
Self- B/W Leaves 5/6 of a yard
Lining- Buttercup Yellow 5/6 of a yard
Contrast #1- B/W/Y Butterflies 1/3 yard
Contrast #2- B/W/Y striped/dots 1 2/3 yard
Please note, the above drawings are not perfectly to scale and are just to give an idea of what the pattern pieces should look like and grain direction. I tried to include measurements to give an idea of how big to make each piece. The tool over the apron is called a "hip curve ruler" and every serious pattern maker should have one. I use mine to draw waist seams, hip seams, princess seams, hems, armholes, necklines...
- Fold Contrast #2 fabric length wise and cut an 4 x 60 in strip (actual piece 8 x 60).
- With right sides together, cut 45 degree corners and sew ends closed. Trim corners. Turn right side out, press.
- Make pleats in ruffle every 1.75 inches with a pleat depth of 1 inch. I alternated pleats from both ends toward the center. Pleats are knife pleats and should go in the same direction. Makes about 20 pleats. If there is extra fabric, hide in center pleat.
Tip: I pin the top of the pleat and the bottom of the pleat to prevent the pleats from flaring. When I am done I have a 4 inch wide strip of pleats just under 40 inches.
- Baste pleats across top edge. Leave in lower set of pins.
- Cut pocket out of Contrast #1 fabric. (Note: top edge is on fold.) With right sides together, sew around edges, leaving one side edge open. Turn right-side-out. Press, folding SA for open side in. Edge stitch onto front of apron sewing small triangles at corners for stabilization. Top stitch a dividing line down center of pocket. Placement for the top of the pocket is about 11 inches up from the bottom of the apron (without ruffles.)
- Fold Contrast #1 fabric crosswise and cut two, 2 x 20 inch strips (actual pieces 4 x 20)
- With right sides together, cut 45 degree corners and sew ends closed, and length of neck tie. Trim corners. Turn right side out, press.
- Place on top edge of apron, ½ from side edges, flush with top of apron. Baste in place.
- For waist ties, Fold Contrast #2 fabric lengthwise and cut two, 3 x 60 inch strips (actual pieces 6 x 60)
- With right sides together, cut 45 degree corners and sew ends closed, and length of waist. Trim corners. Turn right side out, press.
- Place on side edge of apron, flush with side edge and ½ down from armhole edge. Baste in place.
- Pin ruffle to lower apron edge over waist ties, starting at center and curving around toward armhole edges. Should reach just to waist ties. Okay if it overlaps. Baste in place.
- Tuck all ties into front pockets. Keep pleats away from lower apron edge.
14. Sandwich lining over self, right sides together. Sew around all edges, leaving 6 inch gap open at neck.
15. Turn inside out.
16. Fold in neck SA. Edgestitch close.
17. Remove lower pins from ruffle. Flare/fan pleats. Press or starch pleats.
|Yeah, my sewing room is usually a mess.|